Friday, February 7, 2014

Beet It!

I love vegetarian food, but have a hard time finding something both satisfying and healthy for both my husband Tom and I to eat. This little gem was a wonderful find for the both of us. I never really was into beets before trying this soup, and now cannot get enough of them. The texture is super hearty and thick. I guess this could truly be called root vegetable soup, but it gets such a lovely color that you can’t help but call it Beet Soup. This soup is also very economical, low calorie and great for a cold winter night.

Here's what you'll need:
  • 5 to 6 carrots 
  • 1 yam (5 in) 
  • 3 beets (small) 1 medium cooking onion diced 
  • 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock 
  • 1 Tablespoon salt 
  • 2 Tablespoons of Olive Oil 
  • Immersion blender


Heat olive oil in a pot and add the onion in to sauté, maybe 5 to 10 minutes. Peel and chop carrots, yams and beets. I like to leave the onions to caramelize for a few extra minutes. It adds extra flavor to the soup.


When onions are translucent, add chopped veggies and sauté for 5 minutes over medium heat.


Add stock and turn heat up so liquid will simmer. Simmer veggies and stock for 40 minutes or until vegetables are soft. Make sure you stir the veggies and liquid in the pot so nothing sticks to the bottom.

Allow soup to cool for a few minutes before using blender to create a puree. Always allow for a little over blending to get the soup into a smooth texture (on another note, chunks of beet or potato drive my husband nuts, so I get pretty anal at constantly checking the puree for chunks).






































Feel free to reheat soup for a couple of minutes on the stove and then serve when bubbly.This soup is excellent with a nice hearty bread and red wine. It will make about 6 to 7 servings.


This soup also allows for a ton of different toppings if you so choose. I don't feel like it needs it, but I've had friends and family who have told me they add chili oil, grated ginger or sour cream to the soup.

Stay tuned for my next recipe: breakfast pizzas!

1 comment:

  1. looks yummy. going to ask Abigail to make this, once I buy ingredients I have never bought before... um a yam

    ReplyDelete