Friday, May 16, 2014

Tis the Season to BBQ


I'm getting an early start to my blogging this "lovely" Friday morning.  Lovely is a loose term for the weather we're experiencing outside.  All I hope is you remembered your umbrella and raincoat before leaving for work this morning.  However this weekend, the weather is supposed to be absolutely beautiful and breathtaking.   So before I start bringing you photos of our fabulous weather on the Times Herald webpage, you can check out my new recipe. 

So tis the season for outdoor barbecuing! I love barbecuing outside.  Especially when it’s super hot and you don’t want to heat up your kitchen but you want to have hot delicious food.  I’m not a huge fan of bottled barbecue sauce, so I thought I’d whip up my own.  Here’s my tasty concoction.  I then used it to create Tangy Pulled Pork.  I know every family tends to have their own BBQ sauce recipe so please feel free to comment below to tell me about yours.

Homemade Barbecue Sauce
5 min prep time
30 min cook time
6 servings (about a Cup of sauce)

·       ¾ cup of ketchup
·       ½ cup of brown sugar
·       3 Tablespoons of Honey
·       pinch of salt
·       pinch of cayenne
·       1 teaspoon of garlic powder
·       ½ of teaspoon of chili powder
·       pinch of cumin
·       pinch of black pepper
·       1 teaspoon of salt
·       2 Tablespoons of Soy Sauce
·       ¼ Cup of water

Combine salt, cayenne, cumin, black pepper, garlic powder, and chili powder. Set aside.




In a sauté pan, add brown sugar, ketchup, honey, and combined seasonings.   



Heat under low heat for about 5 minutes.  Then add water and soy sauce and bring up to a simmer for 20-30 minutes.  
 




Add sauce to any barbecue dish.  I added it to chicken.  




Tangy Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
10 min prep time
5 hours cook time
12-15 servings

·       3 lbs of pork shoulder
·       1 cup of BBQ Sauce
·       ¼ cup of Apple Cider Vinegar
·       ½ cup of Orange Juice
·       ½ cup of Brown Sugar
·       1 Large onion chopped
·       2-3 Tablespoons of flour


Ready your slowcooker.
Add pork, BBQ sauce, apple cider vinegar, orange juice, brown sugar, and onion to slow cooker.  Cook on High for 4.5 Hours.  



Ladle out a cup of broth from the cooking pork into a dish.  Add 2-3 Tablespoons of flour to broth.  Add mixture back to crockpot and let cook for another 30 minutes or so. 


No comments:

Post a Comment