Friday, July 4, 2014

Grilling It Up!


In honor of the 4th of July, I thought I'd post about Grilling. I love Grilling, it keeps me from utilizing our oven and stove inside, which allows our house to stay cooler in the horrible hot weather.  So today's entry shows off two different recipes that go with grilling, Honey Mustard Chicken and Kohlrabi Asian Slaw.

I truly love grilled chicken.  My favorite part of the chicken is the chicken thigh. This is a pretty easy marinade that can be done on the fly.  Typically I'm able to grill up a bunch of these thighs for lunches for the week.

Also this week due to popular demand, I'm including recipe cards that you can right click and save for future use!

Honey Mustard Chicken

45 min of prep time
20-25 min of cooking depending on how hot the charcoal it


·       2/3’s cup of Yellow Mustard
·       1 Tablespoon of Mustard Seed
·       ½ cup of Honey
·       4-5 Chicken Thighs

Prepare the charcoal.  It should take about 30 minutes to heat up.


Use a large bowl and mix mustard seed, yellow mustard, and honey. Mix together and add chicken thighs to it Toss thighs in mixture and chicken will be marinating in the fridge for 30 minutes or so.



When charcoal is prepared, add marinated chicken to grill. Cook for 20-25 minutes, turning it so it cooks evenly.



It tastes great with grilled veggies.  



Right Click on above recipe card to save it and print.


Last week we received a serving of Kohlrabi in our weekly CSA delivery from Lancaster Farm Fresh.  I had never worked with Kohlrabi before, so I was a bit apprehensive.  Luckily I was able to utilize Pinterest (which may be one of my favorite recipe finders).  Unfortunately it only had a limited amount of recipes for Kohlrabi. One of the recipes was for Coleslaw, which typically I’m not a fan of, due to the mayonnaise in it.  (Not a fan of mayo….)  Luckily after a little research I was able to come up with something a little different.  


Kohlrabi Asian Slaw

10 min of prep time
1 hour to chill

Vegetable base
·       3 medium purple Kohlrabies
·       1 large carrot, peeled
·       1 cup of shredded cabbage
·       3 Tablespoons of Spring Onions
·       2 Tablespoons of fresh Parsley (I only used Parsley because I had it on hand, you substitute Cilantro or Basil)

Dressing
·       3 Tablespoons of Vegetable Oil
·       2 teaspoons of Soy Sauce
·       3 cloves of Garlic (chopped)
·       2 Tablespoons of Water
·       1 teaspoon of Distilled White Vinegar
·       2 Tablespoons of Honey
·       1 teaspoon of Red Pepper Flakes

Peel and cut off the hard skin of the Kohlrabi to show the white flesh underneath.  Then grate Kohlrabi, carrot, and cabbage.  



 
I used a cheese grater.  If you have a food processor by all means please use it.  I also utilized this handy device while grating to help protect my hands. This is a piece I found along with my Mandoline Slicer.



Sprinkle spring onions and chopped herbs on top and chill for an hour.  



Then prepare dressing.  Whisk together vegetable oil, soy sauce, garlic, water, vinegar, honey and red pepper flakes.  Pull out chopped veggies and pour dressing on top and then mix thoroughly.  



This is a great recipe to serve with something like Honey Mustard Chicken or Hamburgers.  


No comments:

Post a Comment