Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Jewish Apple Cake


Last week was an insanely busy week involving sports photography, pouring rain, cold winds, and long hours.  Since I have more time and energy this week, I decided to post two entries.  Today, the first is a fabulous dessert that will warm anyone up this time of year.
This is hands down my favorite dessert of all time.  I remember being a small child and eating this at my Grandparents’ home.  My Oma would make this cake for special occasions or just for family get  togethers.  It’s so unbelievably good that it can work with almost any kind of meal or coffee break. 
Jewish Apple Cake is a dense moist cake filled with cinnamon and apples.  I was surprised to learn it’s called Jewish, not because of any kind of religious affiliation, but rather because it contains no dairy.  I could not find a Bundt pan in my home so instead made it with two smaller 5 by 9 inch pans.  I may now have to invest in a Bundt pan because of out delicious it turned out. It turned out to be so delicious that I'm definitely making it again this week.



Jewish Apple Cake

2 loaves
20 min Prep time
65 minutes to cook
·       3 Cups of Flour
·       2 Cups and 4 Tsp. of Granulated Sugar (divided)
·       4-5 Apples
·       3 tsp. Baking Powder
·       4 Eggs
·       1tsp. Salt
·       2 tsp. Cinnamon
·       1 Cup Vegetable Oil
·       ½ Cup Orange Juice
·       1Tsp. Vanilla Extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees, grease both 5 by 9 pans and set aside.  Peel, core, and thinly slice apples, then toss with cinnamon and 4 Tsp. of sugar.  



Mix flour, remaining sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.  Then mix all wet ingredients in another bowl.  Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, incorporating a cup or so at a time. Mix thoroughly until smooth.  



Pour a layer of batter in each of the 5 by 9 pans.  Add a layer of apples on top.  Then top off with more batter and top with the remaining apples. 



Bake for 60-65 minutes.



Or you can wait until it's browned on top.







No comments:

Post a Comment