Friday, January 9, 2015

Baked Apple Oatmeal And The New Year

2015 is a new year and with the new year comes resolutions.  Because of my current predicament, aka expecting my first child, I am not doing my usual lets try to drop 15 pounds by swimsuit season.  Instead I set realistic goals for myself to hopefully guild myself toward better habits for the next year.  My first goal is to go the distance of at least 672 miles.  The initial goal was to run this 672 miles.  I don't think it's possible for me to do that, but at the moment I'm run/walking a good amount of mileage per day and I'm satisfied with that. Hopefully I can average 2.2 miles a day, or 13 miles a week over the next year.  So far I'm up to 24.8 miles, which is a good start.
My second goal for the year was to eat healthier.  This doesn't mean eating less, it means making better selections and trying to eat less pre-packaged food. My first achievement with this came in the form of this breakfast recipe.  An easy to make concoction that can be made to eat all week long or as a big breakfast for a large group of people. I did use things such as butter, milk, and sugar, but they can very easily be opted out for different ingredients. Plus it's still less fat and sugar that comes in the pre-packaged or restaurant options.


Baked Apple Oatmeal

6 servings
5-10 minutes to prep
35-40 minutes to cook
·       2 Large Apples, peeled and chopped
·       2 Cups of Oatmeal
·       1/2 tsp. Salt
·       1/2 cup Brown Sugar
·       1/2 cup dried Cranberries
·       1/2 cup Walnuts
·       2 Tsp. Cinnamon
·       4 Cups Milk
·       3 tsp. Butter (melted)
·       Extra Milk or Cream for heating up afterwards


Preheat Oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9x9 pan.






Make sure apples are peeled and chopped.  I chopped mine in large chunks, but you can certainly dice yours.








Mix all ingredients except for the milk into a large bowl until thoroughly combined.



Gradually add 4 cups of milk and stir slowly to combine. 



Pour into the 9x9 container.



Bake for 35-40 minutes or until most of the liquid has been absorbed.



Either serve right away or slice into portions and reheat during the week with a splash of milk or cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment