Friday, September 25, 2015

Chicken Corn Soup

I'm from Lancaster County.  A place where going to the farmer's market meant hitting the corn stand at the end of your street for whatever was fresh.  My husband and I were able to stop at home to grab some veggies and I made sure to get fresh corn.  We made corn on the cob and ate a ton of the leftovers but still had a decent amount left. 

I have also been roasting small chickens to make other meals with.  I know those rotisserie chickens from the grocery store are convenient, but I find it's cheaper and better tasting to roast my own.  Which is very simple.  350 degrees, slow roast for 2.5-3 hours.  Bast with plenty of broth.  Add celery, onion, and carrots to the bottom of the pan to roast with the broth. 


Chicken Corn Soup

10 minutes of Prep
30 minutes of Cook time
6 Servings

·       4 ears of Corn, boiled and cut off
·       2 Large Carrot chopped
·       2 Large stalks of Celery chopped
·      1 Large Onion chopped
·       2 Cups Chopped Cooked Chicken
·       3 Tbsp. Flour
·       2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
·       1 tsp. Salt
·       1 tsp. Garlic Power
·      1/2 tsp. Pepper
·      8 Cups Chicken Broth

Saute your onions in olive oil first under medium heat.  After they start to look translucent, add the carrots and celery. Saute until they start to soften.



Add the chicken, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Cook 1-2 minutes together constantly stirring. Add the broth and turn heat up to simmer for 20 minutes or so.


Ladle out a cup of broth into a bowl.  Add flour to create a slurry.  (I may get some crap about this.  I know I should've create a rue, but whatever I went with a slurry instead.) Add back to soup, whisk in and simmer together.



















Right before it's finished cooking, add the corn.



Stir to mix evenly.  Serve immediately.   

1 comment: